​CANNABIS - ​​​​​​​​PROPOSITION 64, MARIJUANA NOW LEGAL

WHILE PROPOSITION 64 MADE THE POSSESSION  AND USE OF RECREATIONAL MARIJUANA LEGAL, THERE ISN’T ANYWHERE AN INDIVIDUAL CAN LEGALLY BUY IT -— YET.IN ORDER TO SELL RECREATIONAL MARIJUANA, A VENDOR MUST BE LICENSED BY THE STATE’S DEPARTMENT OF CONSUMER AFFAIRS, WHICH, ACCORDING TO THE PROPOSITION, WILL BEGIN ISSUING LICENSES BY JAN. 1, 2018, AND THE PERMITTING PROCESS WILL PROBABLY BEGIN LATER RATHER THAN SOONER.“ONE OF PROBLEMS RIGHT NOW IS THAT YOU’RE ABLE TO POSSESS IT, BUT NOT PURCHASE IT,” SAID MATTHEW SMITH, A SACRAMENTO DEFENSE ATTORNEY. “THE AGENCY THAT THE STATE HAS SET UP (THE BUREAU OF MARIJUANA CONTROL) — NONE OF THEIR BUDGET THIS YEAR IS ALLOCATED TO RECREATIONAL MARIJUANA. ALL OF IT IS FOR MEDICAL MARIJUANA. WHAT THAT MEANS IS THAT THE PERMITTING PROCESS, FROM MY UNDERSTANDING, WON’T BE IN PLACE UNTIL JAN. 2018. ONLY LEGAL PLACE TO PURCHASE IT IS AT A DISPENSARY FOR MEDICAL MARIJUANA PATIENTS.”


Firearms & Criminal Defense  

Very interesting to see how this turns out... http://www.appeal-democrat.com/news/mendoza-96607-court-supreme.html
Supreme court gun ruling could affect Colusa County murder case
July 01, 2010 12:02:00 AM
By Rob Parsons/Tri-County Newspapers 
A gun control ruling from the U.S. Supreme Court earlier this week has triggered a sentencing controversy in a high-profile Colusa County murder case. Sentencing for the frequently delayed case of Cathy I. Mendoza, who was acquitted of murder in April but found guilty of using an illegal sawed-off shotgun, was postponed again Wednesday. The delay in the case against the former College City woman could have ramifications tied to Monday's U.S. Supreme Court decision regarding gun ownership rights."The only issue is Ms. Mendoza's status based on the Supreme Court ruling on the ability of states and local entities enacting laws concerning gun rights," Colusa County Superior Court Judge John H. Tiernan said Wednesday. Mendoza's attorney, Albert Smith, raised the issue of whether or not the ban on sawed-off shotguns is constitutional based on the Supreme Court decision, authorities said. On Aug. 30, Mendoza, 31, shot and killed Jose V. Saavedra, who, along with two other men, were reportedly climbing over the fence where Mendoza was living at the time. Saavedra and others had been involved in a bar fight with Mendoza's then-boyfriend less than an hour before the shooting. Mendoza testified during the April trial that she believed she was about to be attacked when she fired the weapon, hitting Saavedra once in the upper body. "If I hadn't done it, he was going to hurt me," the tearful defendant testified.


VERDICT IN: MENDOZA ​​NOT GUILTY OF MURDER

​A COLUSA SUPERIOR COURT JURY BELIEVED CATHY I. MENDOZA WAS ONLY DEFENDING HERSELF WHEN SHE SHOT AND KILLED JOSE VILLARRUEL GUADALUPE SAAVEDRA ON AUG. 30. AFTER DELIBERATING LESS THAN THREE HOURS, THE EIGHT-MAN, FOUR-WOMAN JURY, HANDED DOWN THEIR DECISION THAT MENDOZA WAS “NOT GUILTY” OF SECOND-DEGREE MURDER, BUT “GUILTY” OF USING A SHORT-BARRELED SHOTGUN.JUDGE JOHN H. TIERNAN SET JUNE 17 FOR SENTENCING. SEVERAL OF HER FRIENDS AND FAMILY BREATHED A LARGE AND LOUD COLLECTIVE SIGH OF RELIEF AFTER THE VERDICT WAS READ.“THANK THE LORD,” MENDOZA EXCLAIMED, FOLLOWING THE VERDICT. WEBSITE EDITOR'S NOTE: MATT SMITH WAS LEAD INVESTIGATOR AND TESTIFIED AT THE TRIAL, ALBERT SMITH WAS THE LEAD ATTORNEY

 
CIVIL LITIGATION - WRONGFUL DEATH SETTLES FOR 1.35 MILLION

THE FAMILY OF A COLUSA MAN WHO DIED FROM INJURIES WHEN A BUILDING HE WAS HELPING DEMOLISH FELL ON HIM WILL RECEIVE $1.35 MILLION TO SETTLE A WRONGFUL DEATH CASE, ACCORDING TO COLUSA COUNTY SUPERIOR COURT RECORDS. BECAUSE THE SETTLEMENT INVOLVES AT LEAST ONE MINOR CHILD, IT HAS TO BE APPROVED BY A JUDGE. A HEARING IS SET FOR MAY 7, ONE DAY AFTER THE THIRD ANNIVERSARY OF DANIEL KESTERSON'S DEATH. KESTERSON, 57, WAS HELPING TAKE DOWN THE ABANDONED WAREHOUSE AT 15 FIFTH ST., OWNED BY HOBLIT RENTAL PARTNERS. A RELATED COMPANY, HOBLIT MOTORS INC., ALSO IS A DEFENDANT. "MY CLIENT IS HAPPY TO HAVE RESOLVED THE CASE WITHOUT PUTTING HER CHILDREN THROUGH A TRIAL," SAID MATT SMITH, A SACRAMENTO LAWYER WHO REPRESENTS KESTERSON'S WIDOW, AMBER, AND HER FIVE SPECIAL NEEDS CHILDREN. 




SUPREME COURT GUN 

RULING COULD AFFECT COLUSA COUNTY MURDER 

CASE


July 01, 2010 12:02:00 AM
By Rob Parsons/Tri-County Newspapers 
A gun control ruling from the U.S. Supreme Court earlier this week has triggered a sentencing controversy in a high-profile Colusa County murder case. Sentencing for the frequently delayed case of Cathy I. Mendoza, who was acquitted of murder in April but found guilty of using an illegal sawed-off shotgun, was postponed again Wednesday. The delay in the case against the former College City woman could have ramifications tied to Monday's U.S. Supreme Court decision regarding gun ownership rights."The only issue is Ms. Mendoza's status based on the Supreme Court ruling on the ability of states and local entities enacting laws concerning gun rights," Colusa County Superior Court Judge John H. Tiernan said Wednesday. Mendoza's attorney, Albert Smith, raised the issue of whether or not the ban on sawed-off shotguns is constitutional based on the Supreme Court decision, authorities said. On Aug. 30, Mendoza, 31, shot and killed Jose V. Saavedra, who, along with two other men, were reportedly climbing over the fence where Mendoza was living at the time. Saavedra and others had been involved in a bar fight with Mendoza's then-boyfriend less than an hour before the shooting. 



SHOOTING SUSPECT PLEADS NOT GUILTY

By Howard Yune/Staff Writer | 
The man accused of shooting his grandmother and a sheriff’s deputy has pleaded not guilty to attempted murder.Richard Carl Marez, 25, entered his plea Wednesday in Colusa County Superior Court. The Colusa resident was arrested Saturday, minutes after Helga Marez and sheriff’s Sgt. Mark Troughton were wounded by gunfire at a house north of the city.Judge John H. Tiernan scheduled Richard Marez’s preliminary hearing for 2:30 p.m. Aug. 6.On Tuesday, the suspect was arraigned on two counts of attempted murder and one each of assault with a semiautomatic firearm and assault of a peace officer. The Sheriff’s Department said it recovered a 9mm gun near the home on Highway 45 where the shootout happened.Troughton went to the home to responded to a domestic dispute, according to deputies. He received a bullet wound in his arm and Helga Marez was struck in the leg. The deputy and suspect traded 16 shots, the Sheriff’s Department said.Marez has been held without bail at the Colusa County Jail since his arrest.0
 






​​VERDICT IN: MENDOZA ​​NOT GUILTY OF MURDER




​A COLUSA SUPERIOR COURT JURY BELIEVED CATHY I. MENDOZA WAS ONLY DEFENDING HERSELF WHEN SHE SHOT AND KILLED JOSE VILLARRUEL GUADALUPE SAAVEDRA ON AUG. 30.


AFTER DELIBERATING LESS THAN THREE HOURS, THE EIGHT-MAN, FOUR-WOMAN JURY, HANDED DOWN THEIR DECISION THAT MENDOZA WAS “NOT GUILTY” OF SECOND-DEGREE MURDER, BUT “GUILTY” OF USING A SHORT-BARRELED SHOTGUN.JUDGE JOHN H. TIERNAN SET JUNE 17 FOR SENTENCING. 


SEVERAL OF HER FRIENDS AND FAMILY BREATHED A LARGE AND LOUD COLLECTIVE SIGH OF RELIEF AFTER THE VERDICT WAS READ.“THANK THE LORD,” MENDOZA EXCLAIMED, FOLLOWING THE VERDICT. 


WEBSITE EDITOR'S NOTE: MATT SMITH WAS LEAD INVESTIGATOR AND TESTIFIED AT THE TRIAL, ALBERT SMITH WAS THE LEAD ATTORNEY



THE NEW YORK TIMES

8 KILLED IN CALIFORNIA BUS CRASH


Eight people were killed and 35 injured Sunday evening when a charter bus bound for a casino flipped over and rolled into a ditch off the side of a two-lane highway north of Sacramento.

Among the injured was the bus driver, Quintin Watts, 52, of Stockton, Calif., who, hospitalized in critical condition, was arrested Monday on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Robert Kays, a spokesman for the California Highway Patrol, said in a telephone interview that given the severity of the crash, “and from observations of erratic driving prior to the collision from a witness who was an off-duty officer, we felt we had probable cause” to arrest Mr. Watts.

Mr. Kays said California records showed that while Mr. Watts had a valid commercial driver’s license, he did not have a valid certificate to transport passengers in a chartered vehicle.

And although results of blood tests on Mr. Watts are pending, The Associated Press quoted his mother on Monday as saying he had wrestled with drug and alcohol problems, had been jailed several times on drug charges and smashed a car into a tree a few years ago.





CANNABIS - ​​​​​​​​PROPOSITION 64, MARIJUANA NOW LEGAL

WHILE PROPOSITION 64 MADE THE POSSESSION  AND USE OF RECREATIONAL MARIJUANA LEGAL, THERE ISN’T ANYWHERE AN INDIVIDUAL CAN LEGALLY BUY IT -— YET.IN ORDER TO SELL RECREATIONAL MARIJUANA, A VENDOR MUST BE LICENSED BY THE STATE’S DEPARTMENT OF CONSUMER AFFAIRS, WHICH, ACCORDING TO THE PROPOSITION, WILL BEGIN ISSUING LICENSES BY JAN. 1, 2018, AND THE PERMITTING PROCESS WILL PROBABLY BEGIN LATER RATHER THAN SOONER.


“ONE OF PROBLEMS RIGHT NOW IS THAT YOU’RE ABLE TO POSSESS IT, BUT NOT PURCHASE IT,” SAID MATTHEW SMITH, A SACRAMENTO DEFENSE ATTORNEY. 


“THE AGENCY THAT THE STATE HAS SET UP (THE BUREAU OF MARIJUANA CONTROL) — NONE OF THEIR BUDGET THIS YEAR IS ALLOCATED TO RECREATIONAL MARIJUANA. ALL OF IT IS FOR MEDICAL MARIJUANA. WHAT THAT MEANS IS THAT THE PERMITTING PROCESS, FROM MY UNDERSTANDING, WON’T BE IN PLACE UNTIL JAN. 2018. ONLY LEGAL PLACE TO PURCHASE IT IS AT A DISPENSARY

FOR MEDICAL MARIJUANA PATIENTS.”


CALIFORNIA BILL WOULD BAN MARIJUANA EDIBLES CBS 13



California Bill Would Ban Marijuana Edibles
They're called edibles, and with marijuana now legal in California, they're sending more and more kids to the emergency room. Now a proposed law just passed in the Assembly would get the industry to stop making them. Editors note, Matt Smith was contacted to contribute to this story.