WRONGFUL DEATH CASE TO SETTLE FOR 1.35 MILLION
The family of a Colusa man who died from injuries when a building he was helping demolish fell on him will receive $1.35 million to settle a wrongful death case, according to Colusa County Superior Court records. Because the settlement involves at least one minor child, it has to be approved by a judge. A hearing is set for May 7, one day after the third anniversary of Daniel Kesterson's death. Kesterson, 57, was helping take down the abandoned warehouse at 15 Fifth St., owned by Hoblit Rental Partners. A related company, Hoblit Motors Inc., also is a defendant. "My client is happy to have resolved the case without putting her children through a trial," said Matt Smith, a Sacramento lawyer who represents Kesterson's widow, Amber, and her five special needs children.
Client Reviews & Media Section
"Amazing" Posted by Kayla
Matt was able to do wonders for my fiancees case. In 3 days time he went from facing years in prison to a couple months in county. Excellent man excellent service
"Best of the Best" Posted by Client
God used Matt smith to help me in my case. From a misdemeanor charge to a "Dismissal"-I never gat to see the inside of a court room. You indeed a professional and the best-I recommend u any day anytime till Life ends.Matt also encouraged me,gave me good advice of life,blessed my pocket and put a smile on my face again. What more can I say but Thank u a million Matt and thank God for peace of mind.
THE NEW YORK TIMES
8 DEAD IN CALIFORNIA BUS ACCIDENT
Eight people were killed and 35 injured Sunday evening when a charter bus bound for a casino flipped over and rolled into a ditch off the side of a two-lane highway north of Sacramento.
Among the injured was the bus driver, Quintin Watts, 52, of Stockton, Calif., who, hospitalized in critical condition, was arrested Monday on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
VERDICT IN: Mendoza Not Guilty of Murder
A Colusa Superior Court jury believed Cathy I. Mendoza was only defending herself when she shot and killed Jose Villarruel Guadalupe Saavedra on Aug. 30.
After deliberating less than three hours, the eight-man, four-woman jury, handed down their decision that Mendoza was “not guilty” of second-degree murder, but “guilty” of using a short-barreled shotgun.
Judge John H. Tiernan set June 17 for sentencing.
DRIVER IN DEADLY CRASH WAS NOT INTOXICATED
SACRAMENTO, California (AP) — Toxicology tests show that the driver of a charter bus that crashed on a rural Northern California road, killing nine, was not drunk or on drugs at the time, prosecutors said Tuesday. Many of the 42 passengers heading to Colusa Casino Resort when the Oct. 5 crash happened were Laotian seniors, and some remain hospitalized.
CHARGES DISMISSED IN MACHETE ATTACK CASE - Enterprise Record
ORLAND — A Hamilton City man facing charges of assault with a deadly weapon in connection with an alleged machete attack had his case dismissed Wednesday in Glenn County Superior Court. Scott Charles Verry, 21, was arrested March 4 after he allegedly attacked a lifelong friend with a machete at a home on County Road 16. Witnesses said the victim, Dylan Scott Corral, 19, tried to run Verry down in a vehicle and had earlier reportedly punched out a window on the car, which injured a female.
Endorsements From Lawyers In The Community
"I highly endorse Mr. Smith. Very experienced and caring attorney who produces great results in representing clients! I want all people with legal problems to contact him first."
"I endorse this lawyer. Mr. Smith is thorough, quick witted, and very experienced. He has worked thousands of criminal matters."
"I strongly endorse Matthew. Highly respected in the legal community with an outstanding reputation for client advocacy and dedication."
Matt Smith & Al Smith
Attorneys at Law
Proudly Serving Northern California Since 1975 Call now to speak with a lawyer day or night 916-492-6048
Elk Creek youth to face trial in Chico man's death
ORLAND -- The Elk Creek teen accused in the alleged beating death of a 39-year-old Chico man last December will face a trial, following a hearing Wednesday at the Orland courthouse.
Lyle Burrows, 17, faces a charge of second-degree murder for the death of Michael Patrick Carlson.